Armenia needs good advertisement of its military production – expert
Nyut.am conducted interview with IA REGNUM military observer, chief editor of New defense order. Strategies magazine Leonid Nersisyan.
- Recently Armenia’s Defense Minister Vigen Sargsyan stated that the army must become locomotive of economy. Does Armenia has necessary potential to make the defense industry leading branch of economy?
- During the USSR many factories implementing defense orders were concentrated in Armenia. They were mainly focused on producing electronic devices for different machinery. Besides Armenia has potential for producing weaponry. In case of necessary finance and right management the defense sphere may become one of big branches of Armenia’s economy. Besides inner market there is external as well so in case of successful export the country may earn big sums.
- Armenia has showed some of its productions at Army 2016 exhibition and September 21 parade. What do you think, how much competitive these productions are?
- The artillery intelligence means and fire management presented by Armenia at Army 2016 exhibition gained interest of Russian companies, Pakistan. These means were successfully used during military actions. They can be used at night as well and their price is lower than of its analogues. That is why we can say that we are competitive in this regard. We need to be advertised for entering the global market. It particularly refers to drawns.
- Recently Azerbaijan is also speaking about development of its defense sphere, new productions, new acquisitions. Does that country have necessary potential for producing own weaponry?
- Azerbaijan is focused at assembling foreign technology. We cannot say that it is bad, but it demands more expenses, besides in such case you always depend on importers. They also have own production of sniper weapon of high caliber Istiglal, air-bombs.
- Can it be stated that the race of weaponry enters new level – production of weaponry?
- We cannot say so yet. The main military technology that is used at military actions the parties acquire from abroad. This situation will not essentially change in near future as the countries do not have enough financial potential for production of own artillery, tanks, aviation.