Samsung recalls Note 7 flagship over explosive batteries
Samsung Electronics is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and said that battery problems were behind phones catching fire.
The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the phone "exploding" during or after charging.
The South Korean company said customers who already bought the phone will be able to swap it for a new one.
The recall comes just one week ahead of an expected presentation of a new iPhone model from its main rival Apple.
"We have received several reports of battery explosion on the Note 7 that was officially launched on August 19... and it has been confirmed that it was a battery cell problem," the president of Samsung's mobile business Koh Dong-jin told reporters.
The firms said it would take about two weeks to prepare replacement devices.
According to Samsung, the phone has been launched in 10 countries so far but with different companies supplying the batteries.